Iran fired missiles at airbases used by the US military in Iraq on 8 January. The attack follows the assassination of General Qasem Soleimani on 3 January.
The US has confirmed that at least 12 ballistic missiles had been fired from Iran targeting airbases in Erbil and Al-Asad.
Iran’s Islamic Revolutionary Guards Corps (IRGC) said on TV that they fired the missiles in retaliation for the killing of Soleimani, while the Iranian foreign minister said the missiles were fired in an act of self defence. He added that Iran does not want to start a war.
Iran took & concluded proportionate measures in self-defense under Article 51 of UN Charter targeting base from which cowardly armed attack against our citizens & senior officials were launched.
We do not seek escalation or war, but will defend ourselves against any aggression.
— Javad Zarif (@JZarif) January 8, 2020
US President Donald Trump confirmed on Twitter that attacks had taken place, adding that the damage was being assessed and that he would make a statement on 8 January.
All is well! Missiles launched from Iran at two military bases located in Iraq. Assessment of casualties & damages taking place now. So far, so good! We have the most powerful and well equipped military anywhere in the world, by far! I will be making a statement tomorrow morning.
— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) January 8, 2020
|This article has been unlocked to allow non-subscribers to sample MEED’s content. MEED provides exclusive news, data and analysis on the Middle East every day. For access to MEED’s Middle East business intelligence, subscribe here|