The Kuwait Authority for Partnership Projects (KAPP) has extended the bid deadlines for three of its projects;
- Kabd solid waste treatment facility,
- Umm al-Hayman wastewater treatment plant (WWTP) and the
- Schools development programme.
The prequalified consortiums asked for more time to prepare bids for the highly complex public private partnership (PPP) projects.
Al-Abdaliyya integrated solar combined cycle (ISCC) could also be delayed, but no announcement has been made. The current deadline is 17 March.
The extensions are over a month, but bids are expected to be submitted in the first half.
KAPPs entire programme was delayed for two years for legislative reforms and restructuring. This followed a difficult tendering process for the $1.8bn al-Zour North 1 independent power and water project (IWPP), which was drawn out over three years.
KAPP finally began tendering its projects in 2015. Bids are due for its second-ever project, al-Zour North 2 IWPP, after a 1-month extension to the bidding deadline.
Umm al-Hayman WWTP
The sewage treatment plant will have an initial treatment capacity of 500,000 cubic metres a day, with options for expansion up to 700,00cm/d.
Original deadline 29 February
Consultants HSBC (UK), Fichtner (Germany) and Dar al-Handasah (Lebanon)
- Wassertechnik (Germany)/International Financial Advisors (local)
- Kharafi National (local)/Alfanar (Saudi Arabia)
- Marubeni Corporation (Japan)/ Ali Alghanim Sons & Trading (Kuwait)
- Beijing Enterprises Water Group (China)/Doosan Heavy Industries & Construction (South Korea)/ KCC Engineering & Contracting (local)
- Degremont (France)/Itochu Corporation (Japan)/Abdullah Hamad al-Sagar and Brothers (local)
Kabd solid waste treatment facility
The waste-to-energy scheme will have an initial capacity of up to 3,275 tonnes of waste a day
Original deadline 24 March
Consultants PwC (UK), Fichtner and Ashurst (UK)
- Constructions Industrielles de La Mediterranee (CNIM), Gulf Investment Corporation (GIC), Al-Mulla Group (local)
- EVN Umweltholding and Betriebs (Austria), International Financial Advisors (IFA) / KCC Engineering & Contracting (local) / Steinmuller Babcock Environment (Germany)
- Urbaser (Spain) / Babcock & Wilson (US) / Veolia Proprete (France) / National Cleaning Company (local)
- Suez Environnement (France) / Itochu Corporation (Japan) / Kharafi National
- FCC Medio Ambiente (Spain) / Acwa Power (Saudi Arabia) / Beatona (Saudi Arabia) / Fouad Alghanim & Sons General Trading & Contracting (local)
Schools development programme
The programme involves nine kindergarten, elementary and middle schools, and an Olympic swimming pool, for 4350 students.
Original deadline 14 February
Consultants – Eversheds (UK), PwC and Mott MacDonald (UK)
- CCC – Consolidated Contractors Company (Athens-based), Privatisation Holding Company (local), National Industries Group Holding (local) and Morganti Group (US)
- Alargan – Alargan International Real Estate (local), KSCP (Germany), Alargan Real Estate Project Management (local), Alargan Gulf Real Estate Service Company (local), Index Trading & Contracting for Precast & GRC (local), Mohammed Abdulkhuder Ibrahim Consultant and KFM Holdings (Malaysia)
- KSDP – United Real Estate Company (local), Projacs International Project Management Company (Bahrain), Dar SSH International Engineering Consultants (local), United Building Company (local) and United Facilities Management (local)