Kuwaits Public Authority for Housing Welfare (PAHW) has invited firms to bid for the construction and maintenance of roads and infrastructure at the planned $2.3bn South Al-Mutlaa development project.
The states Central Tenders Committee expects to receive offers by 7 February.
Firms that were prequalified to bid for the contract include:
- China Railway International Group
- China State Construction Engineering Corporation
- Salini Impregilo (Italy)/Kolin (Turkey)
- China Railway 18th Bureau Group
- China Tiesiju Civil Engineering
- China Camc Engineering Company
- Sinohydro Corporation
The South Al-Mutlaa city will occupy a 104 square-kilometre area in Kuwaits Jahra governorate, to the west of the capital Kuwait City.
Once completed in 2019, the Al-Mutlaa city will have 30,000 housing units with population projected to reach 400,000. This would comprise about 9 per cent of the states projected population of nearly 4.6 million by 2019, according to IMF estimates.