Marafiq releases revised IWPP RFP

16 December 2005
The Power & Water Utilities Company for Jubail & Yanbu (Marafiq)has issued the long-awaited revised request for proposals (RFP) for its Jubail independent water and power project (IWPP), inviting developers to submit bids by 26 April. The RFP was accompanied by confirmation that the Petroleum & Mineral Resources Ministry had approved supply of the plant's gas feedstock and that the power and water purchase agreement (PWPA) would be guaranteed by the Finance Ministry. Marafiq decided to draw up a revised RFP after the IWPP was reclassified in May as a national project and its scope significantly increased (MEED 20:5:05).

The revised RFP is understood to have been issued to the three groups which were preparing to submit bids for the original project. They were:

A developer group made up of the UK's International Power (IP), Saudi Ogerand Japan's Sumitomo Corporationwith South Korea's Doosan Heavy Industries & Constructionand Germany's Siemensas its nominated engineering, procurement and construction (EPC) contractor team;

Belgium's Suez Tractebelwith Gulf Investment Corporation (GIC)and the US' General Electricand South Korea's Hyundai Heavy Industries (HHI)as its EPC contractors;

Japan's Mitsui & Company, Korea Electric Power Corporation (Kepco)and the local National Power Companywith Mitsubishi Heavy Industries, also of Japan.

Under the project schedule, Marafiq is aiming to shortlist bidders by 28 June, sign the 20-year PWPA on 23 August and reach financial close by the end of 2006. Full plant commissioning is scheduled for late 2009. The successful bidder will take a 60 per cent stake in a new project company with the remaining 40 per cent held by Marafiq.

The IWPP will comprise a 2,500-MW power plant, which will be connected to the 380-kV national grid, and 176 million gallons a day (g/d) of desalination capacity. The desalination will be built in three blocks: a 66 million-g/d block will supply Marafiq and two other blocks, totalling 110 million g/d, will supply the Saline Water Conversion Corporation (SWCC).

Citigroupand Samba Financial Groupare the financial advisers on the IWPP. A team comprising Germany's Lahmeyer International, the US' Kuljian Engineering Corporationand Germany's ILF Consulting Engineersare the technical advisers.

Marafiq is planning a second IWPP at Yanbu, involving the addition of a 1,500-MW plant. However, the RFP is only expected to be issued once Jubail has been awarded. More imminent is the release of the RFP for the Shuqaiq IWPP for which Water & Electricity Company has recently prequalified 13 developers (MEED 2:12:05, Cover Story).

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications