National winners will compete for the first MEED Quality Awards for Projects in March
MEED has announced the names of 32 national winners in nine categories for the first MEED Quality Awards for Projects, an independently judged competition for projects completed in the GCC.
The winners comprise projects in each of the six GCC states across nine sectors and have been approved by a jury panel consisting of representatives from each country.
The supreme GCC awards will be presented to the teams behind the projects at a gala dinner on 22 March 2011 at the Ritz Carlton, DIFC, Dubai.
“The projects we name today have been subjected to a demanding selection process. The MEED awards’ judging panel was impressed by the exceptionally high standards the projects have achieved. They are the best-in-class and an expression of the brilliant work being done in the GCC across the entire project delivery supply chain,” says Edmund O’Sullivan, chairman of MEED Quality Awards for Projects.
Projects nominated for MEED Quality Awards were required to demonstrate excellence in economic and social master-planning, architecture and design, as well as engineering, construction and sustainability. The winners of the national awards have been recommended by members of the MEED Quality Awards Projects judging panel.
The award categories are oil and gas, power and water desalination, water and water reuse, transport, industry, social, tourism and leisure, as well as buildings and mixed developments, and sustainability.
Winners of the national MEED Quality Awards for Projects
OIL & GAS
- Bahrain: Refinery gas desulphurisation project
- Kuwait: Facility upgrade and relocation of underground pipelines
- Oman: Burhan West and Harmal fields pipeline project
- UAE: Mobile production unit for offshore oilfields built in Abu Dhabi
POWER & WATER DESALINATION
- Qatar: Mesaieed A independent power plant (IPP)
- Qatar: Power supply grid for high-rise towers in the West Bay of Doha
- UAE: Substations at the Nad al-Sheba race track in Dubai
WATER & WATER REUSE
- Oman: Al-Ghubrah 5 million gallon-a-day (g/d) mobile water treatment plant
- Saudi Arabia: Seawater cooling pump station in Jubail
- UAE: Jebel Ali sewage treatment plant
- UAE: Environmentally friendly labour camp in Dubai
- Bahrain: Carbon dioxide recovery plant in the Hidd
- Bahrain: Khalifa bin Salman Port & Industrial Area at the Hidd
- Kuwait: Sheikh Saad General Aviation Terminal
- UAE: Dubai Metro Red Line, Dubai (joint winner UAE)
- UAE: Garhoud bridge, Dubai (joint winner UAE)
LEISURE & TOURISM
- Kuwait: Kuwait National Library
- Oman: Al-Musannah Sports City for the Asian Beach Games site
- Qatar: Grand Hyatt Resort in Doha
- UAE: Ferrari Experience, Yas Island, Abu Dhabi (joint winner, UAE)
- UAE: Qasr al-Sarab Desert Resort & Spa, Liwa, Abu Dhabi (joint winner, UAE)
- Kuwait: Kuwait National Library
- Qatar: American School of Doha expansion programme
- Saudi Arabia: Technical College at Medina
- UAE: City Hospital, Dubai
BUILDING & MIXED DEVELOPMENT
The MEED Quality Awards for Projects are supported by the Bahrain Society of Engineers, Kuwait Society of Engineers, Oman Society of Engineers, Qatar Society of Engineers, Saudi Council of Engineers and the Engineers Society (UAE).
For more details on the MEED Quality Awards for Projects, please visit www.meedawards.com.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.