Phase one of Kingdom Tower under way
- Kone arrives on site for lift pre-installation
- Kingdom Tower set for completion in 2019 and will be tallest tower in the world
- Jeddah Economic Company looks to develop surrounding area
Finnish elevator supplier Kone says it is now working on site at Saudi Arabias under-construction Kingdom Tower.
Kone Areeco, which is the joint venture involved in the planning and implementation of all vertical transportation for the project, arrived on site last January and is currently working on the pre-installation activity for the towers lift system.
At a media briefing held in Dubai on 10 May, Johannes de Jong, Kones head of technology, said the lift system will include the firms new double-decker installation, which will travel at 10 metres a second.
The 1-kilometre Kingdom Tower (1,008 metres), which is being developed by Jeddah Economic Company (JEC), was designed by US firm Adrian Smith & Gordon Gill.
Mounib Hammoud, JECs CEO, also told MEED that the local Saudi Binladin Group is the main contractor working on the project, with completion expected in 2018.
In February 2013, a joint venture of the UK-based EC Harris and Mace was awarded the project management contract to oversee the development of the tower.
Kingdom Tower will be the centre of a new commercial district to the north of Jeddah. The first phase will be 1.4 million square metres and will include the tower, a mall and a large mosque for 12,000 worshippers, together with other residential and commercial buildings.
Jeddah Economic Company was formed in 2009 to finance Kingdom City. It is made up of stakeholders comprising Kingdom Holding Company, Abrar Holding Company, a businessman named Abdulrahman Hassan Sharbatly and Saudi Binladin Group.
- 2009 - Jeddah Economic Company formed as a financial entity for Kingdom City
- 2011 - Saudi Binladin Group chosen as the main construction contractor for Kingdom Tower
- 2012 - Jeddah Economic Company announces that financing for Kingdom Tower is complete
- 2012 - Construction work on the tower begins
- 2013 - The US Calthorpe Associates IS appointed as masterplan consultant, and UAE-based Godwin Austen Johnson as architect for Kingdom City
- 2014 - Germanys Bauer, which was contracted to lay the foundation for the Kingdom Tower, finishes its work
- 2015 - Swedens Kone arrives on site for pre-installation of lift services
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.