Qatar’s Emir Sheikh Tamim bin Hamad al-Thani has named his new cabinet, one day after taking over from his father Sheikh Hamad bin Khalifa al-Thani.
Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani is now the Gulf state’s new prime minister, replacing the long-serving Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim al-Thani. The new prime minister was also named interior minister.
Khalid bin Mohammad al-Attiyah has been named as foreign minister, a position also held by Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim.
In other positions, Ali Sherif al-Emadi becomes the new finance minister, while Mohammed Saleh al-Sada remains energy and industry minister.
The replacement of the powerful Sheikh Hamad bin Jassim as prime minister and foreign minister had been expected, but is nonetheless a hugely significant change. “HBJ”, as he was known, was widely seen as the most powerful man in Qatar and had been highly influential in Doha’s increasingly prominent role in regional politics and international relations.
The decision to reshuffle his cabinet, bringing in new ministers, comes just a day after the previous emir Sheikh Hamad announced in a televised broadcast that he was handing Qatar’s leadership over to his fourth and youngest son Sheikh Tamim.
The new cabinet members are:
- Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa al-Thani, Prime Minister and Interior Minister
- Ahmed bin Abdullah bin Zaid al-Mahmoud, Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of State for Cabinet Affairs
- Khalid bin Mohamed al-Attiyah, Foreign Minister
- Hamad bin Ali al-Attiyah, Minister of State for Defence Affairs, and Cabinet member
- Sheikh Abdulrahman bin Khalifa bin Abdulaziz al-Thani, Minister of Municipality and Urban Planning
- Mohammed bin Saleh al-Sada, Minister of Energy and Industry
- Ali Sherif al-Emadi, Minister of Finance
- Hamad bin Abdul Aziz al-Kuwari, Minister of Culture, Arts and Heritage
- Abdullah bin Khalid al-Qahtani, Minister of Public Health
- Ghaith bin Mubarak al-Kuwari, Minister of Endowments (Awqaf) and Islamic Affairs
- Salah bin Ghanem bin Nasser al-Ali, Minister of Youth and Sports
- Sheikh Ahmed bin Jassim bin Mohamed al-Thani, Minister of Economy and Trade
- Hassan Lahdan Saqr al-Mohannadi, Minister of Justice
- Issa Saad Al-Jafali al-Nuaimi, Minister of Administrative Development
- Hessa Sultan al-Jaber, Minister of Communication and Information Technology
- Saleh Mohamed Salem al-Nabit , Minister of Development Planning and Statistics
- Mohammed Abdul Wahed Ali al-Hammadi, Minister of Education and Higher Education
- Abdullah Saleh Mubarak al-Khulaifi, Minister of Labour and Social Affairs
- Ahmed Amer Mohamed al-Humaidi, Minister of Environment
- Jassim Seif Ahmed al-Sulaiti, Minister of Transport