- Owner Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority
- Location UAE, Emirate of Abu Dhabi, Western Region
- Status Execution
- Classification Oil/Gas Power Plant, Power Generation
- Contract ($m) $1,500m
- Contract Type BOOT
- Main Contract Completion Q2 2014
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Abu Dhabi Water & Electricity Authority (ADWEA) is building the Shuweihat 3 independent power project (IPP) to cope with the country’s rising power demand.
The IPP will be located on the Gulf coast at Shuweihat, near Jebel Dhana, approximately 260km west of the city of Abu Dhabi.
ADWEA was originally planning to develop it as an independent water and power project, but later removed the desalination component, moving ahead as an IPP instead. By removing the desalination element, the project will be completed quicker.
It is now being developed as a gas-fired IPP with a capacity of 1,600MW. It is ADWEA’s first IPP.
Work scope includes:
- Gas turbines
- Compressor air inlet duct
- Exhaust stack
- Generator cooling air ducts
- Electrical module (SEG)
- Medium voltage swicthgear
- Unit transformer
- Neutral earthing switchgear
- Station service transformer
- Excitation transformer
- Low voltage transformer
- Static start up system
- Fuel oil package
- Associated facilities
- Research MEED’s archive on Shuweihat 3 IPP