Local contracting companies win major deals
The UAE has signed AED6.9bn ($1.7bn)-worth of contracts on the second day of the International Defence Exhibition and Conference (IDEX), bringing the total of signed contracts during the first two days of the show to AED11.9bn.
The UAE signed AED18.9bn-worth of deals in the 2015 edition of the defence show.
The contracts signed on 20 February include:
- Rosoboron Export (Russia): weapons and 5,000 anti-aircraft missiles; AED2.603bn
- Maximus Air (local): air cargo; AED1.79bn
- Saab AB (Sweden): early sensor warning for airplanes and spare parts; AED865.7m
- Raytheon (US): rockets for UAE Air Force; AED611.6m
- Trust International (local): weapons; AED553.7m
- International Golden Group (local): technical materials; AED290.0m
- Rheinmetall Defence (Germany): ammunitions; AED151.25m
- Nimr (local): tanks; AED23.4m
- International Golden Group (local): ammunitions; AED11m
- Cubic: simulation systems; AED9.1m
Some of the contracts are implemented in phases, while others are one-off, according to Brigadier-General Rashid Mohammed al-Shamsi, official spokesperson of Idex.
Al-Shamsi said a growing number of local contracting companies has won more contracts this year since they have already reached a level where they can compete directly with their international counterparts. He added that the only condition for the UAE Armed Forces to have awarded these contracts is the quality of the offer made.