- Owner Saudi Electricity Company
- Location Saudi Arabia, Ash-Sharqiyah (Eastern Province), Qurayyah
- Status Execution
- Classification Oil/Gas Power Plant, Power Generation
- Contract ($m) $1,800m
- Contract Type Engineering, Procurement and Construction (EPC)
- Main Contract Completion Q1 2013
- Contact the project owner (MEED Projects subscribers only)
Saudi Electricity Company (SEC) is expanding its existing power plants to address the anticipated 5.5 per cent annual growth in Saudi Arabia’s electricity consumption.
As part of this plan, SEC is building three new independent power projects (IPPs) in the kingdom, with a total capital investment of $5.6bn, which will add 5,200MW to the domestic grid by 2015. They are atQurayyah, Rabigh and Riyadh.
At Qurayyah there will be two gas-fired facilities, however SEC is converting them to combined cycle, bringing its total capacity close to 3,190 MW.