Doha metro could move ahead in December

28 September 2010

The development of the project depends on the outcome of Qatar’s 2022 World Cup bid

Contractors expect the procurement process for the Doha metro to start moving in December 2010 following the results of Qatar’s World Cup bid.

The 2022 Fifa bid will play a prominent role in the speed of development of the rail network

Speaking to MEED during the Mena Rail Projects 2010 conference, contractors said that Fifa’s announcement of the World Cup 2022 host country in December will be the trigger of a flurry of activity in Qatar (MEED 22:9:10).

“We believe to stimulate the procurement process for rail in Qatar it will be driven by the announcement of the 2022 World Cup,” says one contractor.

“A lot depends on Fifa,” says another industry observer. “If they [Qatar] get it [World Cup bid] then it will all be ready by 2020. If not, it will be delayed and they will maybe just do one line of the metro. The 2022 Fifa bid will play a prominent role in the speed of development of the rail network.”

Doha metro will eventually consist of four lines running 300 kilometres across the city. The Red line is the first line and is designed to run from Doha city to the New Doha International airport.

Germany’s Deutsche Bahn (DB) signed a memorandum of understanding (MOU) with local Qatari Diar Real Estate Investment Company (QDREIC) to develop the design for the country’s $25bn railway network in 2009.

The pair are in the process of forming the joint venture Qatar Railways Development Company, which will be responsible for managing all of the design and construction work for Qatar’s metro and rail projects.

Deutsche Bahn will hold 49 per cent of the new company while Qatari Diar will hold the remaining 51 per cent.

A MEED Subscription...

Subscribe or upgrade your current package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.

Get Notifications