Emirate is planning to move forward with new metro and tram projects
The Roads and Transport Authority (RTA) has awarded consultancy contracts for Dubais rail masterplan and the second phase of the Dubai Tram network.
The UKs Atkins has been awarded the contract for the rail masterplan and a team of Frances Systra with the US Aecom has won the consultancy role for the tram.
The rail masterplan study will update and modify the RTAs proposed future metro lines and other public transport networks such as the tram. It will also consider other rail systems such as personal rapid transit (PRT).
The transport agencys latest 2030 masterplan includes a 421-kilometre-long railway network with 197 stations.
There are several possible metro new lines, including:
- Red line extension from Rashidiya to Mirdif City Centre
- Red line extension connecting to Dubai Parks and Dubai Waterfront
- Green line extension from Al-Jadaf to Academic City
- Green line extension from Ras al-Khor to Meydan
- Green line extension to Sharjah border
- Purple line connecting Dubai International airport and Al-Maktoum International airport
- Pink line running along Umm Suqeim Road
- Gold line running from Bur Dubai up to Emirates Road and back to Dubai Media City area
WSP Parsons Brinckerhoff completed the earlier transit study.
The second phase of Dubai Tram will link the depot at the end of the first phase of the existing network to the Mall of the Emirates metro station on Sheikh Zayed Road. The track will run through Dubai Holdings Jumeirah Central development.
A third phase is also planned by the RTA that will run from Mall of the Emirates along Jumeirah Beach Road to Union House at the junction of 2 December Street, which was formerly known as Al-Dhiyafa Street. The third phase could also connect to the Dubai Metro, at the Al-Jafliya station in the Satwa area.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.