Strategy to be supported by specific initiatives
Dubai has launched a five-point cyber security strategy that aims to transform the emirate into a global hub for innovation, safety and security.
The strategy aims to align efforts of the government and private sectors in ensuring a secure cyberspace to make Dubai digitally the safest city in the world, the government said.
We want to harness technology to create a new reality in Dubai a new model of development, Sheikh Mohammed bin Rashid al-Maktoum, UAE vice president and ruler of Dubai, said at the launch of the strategy. The strategy proves that the more challenges we face, the more determined we are to achieve the highest [level of] excellence.
The strategy has five domains. They include:
- Cyber smart nation: Involves raising public awareness on the importance of cyber security, ensuring the building of a society that is fully aware of the dangers of cybercrime, as well as to develop the skills and capabilities required to manage cyber security risks among government and private institutions and individuals
- Innovation: Tackles innovation and scientific research in the field of electronic security and the establishment of an cyber space that is free, fair and secure, and encourages innovation
- Cyber security: Build a secure cyberspace by establishing controls to protect the confidentiality, credibility, availability and privacy of data.
- Cyber resilience: Focus on maintaining the flexibility of cyberspace and ensuring the continuity and availability of IT systems in the event of any cyber-attacks
- National and international collaboration: Establish local and global partnerships to consolidate cooperation frameworks with different sectors at the global and local levels to confront threats and risks in cyberspace
The launch of the strategy will be supported by specific initiatives that will contribute to achieving the stated objectives.
The region is largely seen as a prime target for cyber attacks due to rising geopolitical tension as well as the high concentration of high net worth individuals.
You might also like...
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.