Egypt’s Ministry of Housing, Utilities and Urban Communities and Transport Ministry have extended the bid deadline to 15 October for the contract to build, finance and operate two monorail packages linking Cairo’s Nasr District to the New Cairo Capital and Giza to 6 October City.
The prequalified teams include:
- Bombardier (Canada) / Orascom (local) / Arab Contractors (local)
- China Gezhouba Group (China) / China Railway Construction Corp (China) / Concord for Engineering & Construction (Egypt) / Samco (Egypt)
- China Railway (China) / Samcrete (local) / SNC Lavalin – Atkins (Canada) / Egyptian Railways Equipment (Semaf) (local)
- Chongqing International Construction / China Railway 11th Bureau Group (CRIIG) (all China)
- Ferrovie dello Stato Italiane (Italy) / Ansaldo (STS) – Hitachi (Italy/Japan) / Saipem (Italy)
- Scomi (Malaysia) / Arabtec (local) /Ministry of Military Production for Projects and Engineering (local) / Shaker Consultancy Group (local)
The initial bids deadline was 15 September.
The Nasr District to New Cairo Capital monorail will be 52 kilometres, while the Giza to 6 October City monorail will be 35km.
The government plans to procure both projects using a combined engineering, procurement, construction and financing (EPC+F) model.
A consortium led by Canada’s Bombardier, and another team led by China Gezhouba Group Corporation (CGGC), had previously submitted an offer for the Giza to 6 October City monorail system.
These monorail schemes are expected to help decongest roads and streets in Egypt’s capital, Cairo, and provide connectivity between the new urban centres outside Cairo, such as 6 October City and New Cairo Capital, to Cairo’s transport network as well as the airport.
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.