Kuwait’s Electricity & Water Ministry has selected Switzerland-based ABB to build the KD72.5m ($250m) Mina Abdullah drinking water complex.
The ministry’s selection will be considered final once it has been approved by Kuwait’s audit committee. If approved, ABB will design, procure, install, build and commission the project.
The other bidders for the contract were:
- GS Engineering & Construction (South Korea) – KD 76.6m ($265m)
- Consolidated Contractors Company (CCC) (Athens-based) – KD 93.6m
- Saipem (Italy) – KD 79.8m
- Arab Contractors (Egypt) – KD 68.8m
- Marubeni Corporation (Japan) – KD 10.4m
This is the second time that bids have been submitted for the project. Bidders responded to a previous tender last year with higher prices.
Contractors submitted bids in May for two water storage contracts connected to the Mina Abdullah. Contractors have also submitted prices for a water pipeline to run from the water complex to the West Funaitees area.