Qatar has so far installed fibre for fast broadband services into 40,000 homes, delegates at MEED Smart Cities were told today.
The country is spending around $500m wiring every home approximately 250,000 dwellings with fibre, including providing capacity for non-telecoms operators.
The project is due for completion in 2016.
More from MEED Smart Cities
- Dubai tests smart parking initiatives
- Abu Dhabi completes smart city study
- Middle East governments must shape smart cities standards
- Jeddah population to double in next six years
- Learn to leave the car at home, says Atkins CEO
- Solar and smart meters promote cleaner energy in Dubai
- Dubai Silicon Oasis aims to build smart city model for the world