For the WRC project, companies have been invited to bid by early July for a design, build and management contract for two plots that will each have 25,000 residences. Labourers will occupy 60 per cent of the space, and technicians and supervisors will occupy 20 per cent each. Considerable space will be allocated for amenities including mosques, cinemas and sports facilities.

A prequalification exercise was completed in February, and the prospective bidders, all local, include: Abu Dhabi National Hotels Company; Abu Dhabi Co-operative Society; Emirates Utilities, part of Al-Qudra Holding; National Corporation for Tourism & Hotels; Sorouh Real Estate; and Tawafouq Project Development.

In Al-Ain, Zonescorp has formally launched its Al-Ain Industrial City project. The project will be funded by a public-private partnership (PPP) vehicle, which will use a combination of debt and equity. The equity will be provided by the Zonescorp fund in which Zonescorp will contribute 75 per cent, and its joint venture partners, Abu Dhabi Commercial Bank and Macquarie Bank, the remaining 25 per cent (MEED 28:4:06).

The five-square-kilometre project will have 10 districts: 80,066 square metres for small-scale service and repairs; 451,502 square metres for agricultural processing and prepared foods; 683,835 square metres for light manufacturing, textiles, paper and wood products; 423,929 square metres for chemicals and plastics; 758,135 square metres for building products; a 47,096- square-metre technology cluster; 267,221 square metres of warehousing space; 274,317 square metres for environmental industries; 213,707 square metres for advanced factory units; 433,126 square metres for a residential complex; and 219,309 square metres for central offices.

Zonescorp has signed an agreement with Arkan Building Materials for the establishment of an industrial complex and has awarded the local Al-Jaber Group the AED 124 million ($34 million) contract for infrastructure works. Canada’s Cansult is the infrastructure design consultant.