Abu Dhabi-based Etihad Rail has invited firms to submit prequalification documents by 17 January to bid for the contract to manufacture, supply and commission locomotives that will operate across the entire network.
Etihad Rail specified that firms need a minimum of 15 years of “demonstrable experience” in the design, engineering, procurement, fabrication, manufacture, assembly, site-testing, commissioning and maintenance of locomotives that comply with Association of American Railroads standards.
The locomotives also need the ability “to operate in extreme coastal and desert environments and sustain heavy haul operations".
In 2011, Etihad signed a deal with China South Locomotive & Rolling Stock Corporation to supply 240 covered wagons for the transport of granulated sulphur for the first phase of the railway.
A further contract was signed between Etihad Rail and US-based ElectroMotive Diesel for the design and manufacture of seven heavy-haul freight locomotives.
The existing 264-kilometre railway line transports granulated sulphur from Shah and Habshan to Ruwais.
Last year, the procurement process for stage 2 of the Etihad Rail project (phase 2) was launched. The bidding process for stage 2 contracts is under way.
Etihad Rail has said it expects stage 2 services to commence in 2023.
The scope of the Etihad Rail project stage 2 (phase 2) includes:
- Package A (also referred to as Contract C0303) – construction of a 138km rail line in the Al-Dhafra region from Ghuweifat to Ruwais
- Package B (Contract C0304) – construction of a 200km mainline in Abu Dhabi and a 40km branch line to Khalifa port
- Package C (Contract C0306) – construction of a 78km mainline in Dubai and a 20km branch line to Jebel Ali port
- Package D (Contract C0308) – construction of a 98km mainline from Sharjah to Fujairah and a 29km branch line to Tawyeen
- Package E (Contract E0001) – rail integration and systems packages
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.