All street signs and buildings to be integrated into database by end of 2015
Abu Dhabi has outlined plans to continue its street signage programme by installing smart codes to every sign and building, allowing people to access information about each street and neighbourhood using smartphones, according to the emirates Department of Municipal Affairs (DMA).
Under the Abu Dhabi Emirate Street Addressing GeoNames and Signage System (ADAGS), the emirate has already assigned new addresses for more than 200,000 homes and commercial units.
The next stage is to assign smart QR codes to every sign and building and to each address number plate. The project is expected to be completed by the end of 2015.
We are working to create one universal address database platform, said Abdullah Hassan Ghareeb al-Bloushi, speaking at the MEED Abu Dhabi Conference on 9 December.
[People] can find details on the meaning of street names and locate the nearest schools, hospitals and banks, said al-Bloushi. Response times for emergency services could improve [and] in some circumstances this could means saving someones life or property.
The system is also expected to improve the delivery time of goods and services, as businesses will be able to locate address more easily.
The new addressing system will lead to tourists and citizens exploring more of the emirate and will add value to peoples everyday lives, Al-Bloushi said.
DMA has created a single administrative framework to implement an emirate-wide system. The ADAGS effort is coordinated by DMA with the cooperation of the three municipalities Abu Dhabi, Al-Ain and the Western Region.
More from MEEDs Abu Dhabi Conference
- Etihad Rail plans to tender phase 3 in second half of 2014
- Abu Dhabi plans port expansion schemes
- Etihad Rail to award phase 2 before second quarter of 2014
- Adma-Opco aims for 1 million production target in 2018
- Abu Dhabi to double oil rig count over two years
- Abu Dhabi airport looking to record passenger traffic of 16 million in 2013
- Passenger numbers at Abu Dhabi airport to more than double by 2020
- Abu Dhabis Zonescorp plans further major expansions
- Next year to be Abu Dhabis year of industry
- Abu Dhabi increases focus on farming
- Abu Dhabi seeks to promote energy efficiency
- Abu Dhabi expands street signage programme with smart codes
A MEED Subscription...
Subscribe or upgrade your current MEED.com package to support your strategic planning with the MENA region’s best source of business information. Proceed to our online shop below to find out more about the features in each package.